Some English sentences are very basic:
- Shakespeare was a writer.
- Einstein said something.
- The Inuit are a people.
You could write an entire essay using only
simple sentences like these:
- William Shakespeare was a writer. He wrote plays. It was the
Elizabethan age. One play was Hamlet. It was a
tragedy. Hamlet died. The court died too.
It is not likely, however, that your essay would receive a passing
grade. This chapter helps you learn to recognise different types of
sentences and to use them effectively in your own
This topic includes:
- Why Sentence Structure Matters
- The Structure of a Sentence
- The Order of a Sentence
- The Purpose of a Sentence