Study Guides for the A+ Core Exam!
By explaining to you exactly how each part was designed to work with that central processing chip--and why--you not only understand how the PC works without months of rote memorization, but you have the additional advantage of knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each approach. In other words, you know where and why things tend to break down. Which is exactly what you want for the A+.
Get on the fast track to becoming CompTIA A+ certified with this affordable, portable study tool. Inside, certification training expert Mike Meyers guides you on your career path, providing expert tips and sound advice along the way. With an intensive focus only on what you need to know to pass CompTIA A+ Exams 220-801 & 220-802, this certification passport is your ticket to success on exam day.
- Itineraries—List of official exam objectives covered
- ETAs—Amount of time needed to complete each lesson
- Travel Advisories—Expert advice on critical topics
- Local Lingo—Concise definitions of key terms and concepts
- Travel Assistance—Recommended resources for more information
- Exam Tips—Common exam pitfalls and solutions
- Checkpoints—End-of-chapter questions, answers, and explanations
- Career Flight Path—Career options mapped out to maximize the return from your IT journey
Electronic content includes:
- Practice exams for 220-801 & 220-802
- More than one hour of video training featuring Mike Meyers
- Mike’s favorite PC tools and utilities
- CompTIA A+ Glossary
Further on, the author explains how to work on computers, install new options, and implement upgrades. Gilster also discusses how to deal with customers--often a bigger challenge than diagnosing the hardware problem--and covers the DOS/Windows platform and diagnostic techniques.
CompTIA® A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram, Sixth Edition is the perfect study guide to help you pass CompTIA’s A+ 220-801 and 220-802 exams. It provides coverage and practice questions for every exam topic, including substantial new coverage of Windows 7, new PC hardware, tablets, smartphones, and professional-level networking and security. The book presents you with an organized test preparation routine through the use of proven series elements and techniques. Exam topic lists make referencing easy. Exam Alerts, Sidebars, and Notes interspersed throughout the text keep you focused on what you need to know. Cram Quizzes help you assess your knowledge, and the Cram Sheet tear card is the perfect last minute review.
Covers the critical information you’ll need to know to score higher on your CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 exams!
Deploy and administer desktops and notebooks running Windows 7, Vista, or XP
Understand, install, and troubleshoot motherboards, processors, and memory
Test and troubleshoot power-related problems
Use all forms of storage, including new Blu-ray and Solid State (SSD) devices
Work effectively with mobile devices, including tablets and smartphones
Install, configure, and troubleshoot both visible and internal laptop components
Configure Windows components and applications, use Windows administrative tools, and optimize Windows systems
Repair damaged Windows environments and boot errors
Work with audio and video subsystems, I/O devices, and the newest peripherals
Install and manage both local and network printers
Configure IPv4 and understand TCP/IP protocols and IPv6 changes
Install and configure SOHO wired/wireless networks and troubleshoot connectivity
Implement secure authentication, prevent malware attacks, and protect data
Written by the leading authority on CompTIA A+ certification and training, the new edition of this trusted resource offers complete, up-to-date coverage of CompTIA A+ exams 220-801 and 220-802. You’ll find learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter, exam tips, practice exam questions, and in-depth explanations. Prepare for the exams with confidence! McGraw-Hill is a Gold-Level CompTIA Authorized Partner offering Authorized CompTIA Approved Quality Content to give you the competitive edge on exam day. This comprehensive guide also serves as an essential on-the-job reference after certification.
Covers all exam objectives, including how to:
- Work with CPUs, RAM, BIOS settings, motherboards, power supplies, and other PC components
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot hard drives
- Manage input devices and removable media
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
- Troubleshoot all common PC problems
- Install video and multimedia cards
- Work with smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices
- Install and configure wired and wireless networks
- Connect to the Internet
- Protect your PC and your network
- Install, configure, and manage printers
- Work with virtualization technologies
- Understand safety and environmental issues
CompTIA A+ is the de facto certification for IT technicians. Some vendors even require employees to achieve certification as part of their job training. This book prepares you for both required exams: 220-801 and 220-802. Totally updated to cover the 2012 exams, this popular prep guide covers all the exam objectives. Readers will also have access to additional study tools, including the Sybex Test Engine with bonus practice exams, electronic flashcards, and a glossary of important terms in searchable PDF form.
- Includes a coupon for 10% Off CompTIA Certification Exams
- A complete study guide to both exams required for CompTIA A+ certification, the standard certification for software and hardware vendors and major technology companies
- Covers personal computer components, laptops and portable devices, operating systems (including mobile), printers and scanners, networks, security, safety and environmental issues, communication, and professionalism
- Provides clear and concise information on crucial hardware and operating system maintenance and troubleshooting topics
- Offers practical examples, real-world insights, exam highlights, and end-of-chapter reviews
A+ is the gateway certification into many IT careers, and interest in certification is exploding. This bestselling A+ certification guide is updated to cover the new A+ exam. It includes the new Windows coverage and reflects the revised emphasis on objectives. Nine minibooks focus individually on specific hardware and OS characteristics including installation and configuration, diagnostics, preventive maintenance, motherboard and processors, printers, networking, and fundamentals. A companion website contains the popular Dummies Test Engine test-prep software.
- A+ certification is the first step toward a variety of IT careers, and this guide is fully updated for the latest revision of the exam
- Nine minibooks cover the domains of the exam in detail, reflecting the enhanced emphasis on hardware and new Windows content
- Covers installation, configuration, and upgrading; diagnosing and troubleshooting; preventive maintenance; motherboards, processors and memory; printers; networking; and OS fundamentals
- Companion website provides the popular Dummies Test Engine, an exclusive, customizable test-prep software package now with twice as many sample test questions as previous editions