4Tests Forums

ForumsOther Exams • 470 battery postal Post ReplySend to a Friend
Author Topic
ziggyboo84Posted - 18 January 2007 0:16  Show Profile
Hi I was wondering if anyone took this exam and if they can tell me little more about it and how each category exactly works. I read up on this website that they have 3 categories and that each is timed differenty here is an explanation of the 3: http://www.postaljobs.com/application_exam_information.htm

Now i am currious to how the memorization test is give as well the otehr three are they all computer tests is it a difficutl test or is al all aobut click the moust fast reading well and quick and having a good memory???
I took the practice exam on here with 76 question and i completed it in exacly 6 minutes and had a 89% now the real exam consists of 95 question and u get only 6 minutes for the addresse seem a little tuff but duable. if any1 got some feed back tip trick or any help i would appriciate it thank you so much

HQRetiree Posted - 20 January 2007 14:17  Show Profile
I am a former USPS instructor, retired after 30 years of service.</P><P>The address comparison test actually tests your ability to proofread. Can you tell the difference between 3214 Lyme Street and 3241 Lyme Street at a glance? How about 3214 Lyme Street versus 3214 Lyme Court? This is an example of how your proofreading skills will be tested. During the test, you need to be able to do this quickly without bogging down on any particular address.</P><P>The memory test is a bug-a-boo, I'll grant you that. Basically, you'll have only 5 minutes to memorize a series of 5 lists each containing 4-6 numbers with street names. Each list may contain the same street names but with different ranges of numbers. For instance, group 1 may have 1-120 Sumner Avenue listed, group 2 may have 121-140 Sumner Avenue listed, and another group may have 141-190 Sumner Avenue listed. </P><P>What?! Why on earth would this be listed like this and why do I need to be able to memorize stuff like this?</P><P>When the postal service delivers mail, the person who delivers your mail is called a carrier. The person who sorts the mail for the carrier is called a clerk and may operate sorting machines (more common these days) or may sort manually, by hand and from memory. </P><P>The example above, Sumner Avenue, contains 3 different ranges of address which are known as &quot;splits.&quot; This means that 3 different carriers deliver mail to those addresses. You have to be able to identify which carrier the particular piece of mail goes to be delivered. On the test, you may see questions that involve the entire range of splits.</P><P>One question may be, which group does Sumner Avenue 1-120 belong to? Another question may ask which group 98 Sumner Avenue belongs to.</P><P>The best thing that you can do is to go to a local book store and purchase one of the prep books for clerk/carrier that has the particular battery test you want to study for. It is worth the $20 or so if you truly want to pass the exam and get a good score.</P><P>The best way to improve your score is to practice the various aspects of the test. You will increase your short-term memory skills with regular practice over a long period of time.</P><P>I don't suggest, however, that you subscribe or pay for specific web sites that tout getting you prepared for the tests for a fee. Don't pay for information regarding where the openings are in the Postal Service. This information is free of charge at www.usps.gov, and will list where the current openings are, what openings are available, and what tests are being held where. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to call the Postal Service. A simple phone call may prevent you from losing serious amounts of money from those who advertise job openings and test preps.</P><P>The openings for clerks at the Postal Service are declining due to mail processing technology advancements. Advancements in optical scanner and character recognition hardware and software, the remote bar coding system--all these have rendered the clerk to the level of a machine operator. The openings for letter carrier, however, continue to be needed. Be aware that openings are few and far between. </P><P>The tests are given only so often and many thousands show up to take that one particular test. So if an office has an opening for 3 people and 10,000 people take the test (very realistic amount), the chances of any one person being hired is remote. Not impossible, mind you, but remote.</P><P><BR>You will be competing against veterans and purple heart veterans, which means that those people will get veteran's preference points added to their test scores. Veterans get 5 points added, and purple heart veterans get 10 points added to their scores.</P><P>So if a purple heart veteran receives a base score of say 99, his adjusted score will be 109. If you want any realistic chance of being hired, your score must be within the 98-100 range for the clerk/carrier exam. </P><P>This makes studying and prepping all the more so important. Do this over a lengthy period of time, because cramming 2 weeks before the test won't cut it.</P><P>While the clerk and the carrier ranks are diminishing, the maintenance craft is ever expanding. More, new machines increase the demand for MPEs (mail processing equipment) mechanics and ETs (electronics technicians). You must, however, be mechanically inclined and be able to pass the appropriate tests.</P><P>I entered the postal service in 1970 as a clerk. After a couple of years of that job, I transferred to the maintenance craft. I was the first female ever in maintenance in the entire postal service organization.</P><P>Maintenance is the place to be now in the Postal Service. Your chances of being hired off the street for maintenance is far greater than being hired off the street for a clerk or a carrier position.</P><P>Good luck with your aspirations! Don't spend money needlessly on websites or programs that &quot;get you ready&quot; for the test. You can accomplish the same objectives by purchasing a test prep manual from your local bookstore. Study and prepare over a long period of time and you'll have a better chance of getting a very high score.</P><P>By the way, the Postal Service establishes lists of who passed and ranks them in descending order starting with the grade of 110. The list is for a particular office or area offices and is good for 2 years. You can request an additional 1 year extension on your score. You can also request that your score be transferred to a particular office.</P><P>By checking with the USPS site, you can find out which office to transfer your score to. If you are willing to relocate anywhere in the country, you stand a better chance of getting a position. They won't pay for the relocation however.</P><P></P><P></P><P>
ziggyboo84 Posted - 21 January 2007 0:20  Show Profile
wow this helped a lot thank you very much for the whole explanation and all the tips I jsut recently ordered some study material and i will jsut take my time practicing and hope to get a high enough score to hopefully get hired in any position.
HQRetiree Posted - 21 January 2007 17:6  Show Profile
When you do get to sit for the test, be sure to try to finish all the questions in all the sections. If you can get the answers down to 2 selections, take a good guess. These tests are not like the SATs where you'll be penalized for guessing if you guess incorrectly. Go with the answer that seems most logical.</P><P>When it comes to the memory portion of the test, go with the answer that comes FIRST to your mind. Don't panic and don't try to second guess yourself. Go with your first answer.</P><P>Good luck with your studying! Long-term preparation for the postal tests does pay off with the higher scores.</P><P>I really enjoyed my career with the Postal Service.</P><P>If you get a chance, you may have an opportunity for temporary, 89-days, work. Usually this occurs during the holiday season between Thanksgiving and lasts until after the New Year holiday. </P><P>If you take a temporary appointment, you get to see what it is really like to work for the post office. You may or may not like it. Some people love it while others absolutely detest it. </P><P>Additionally, if you do have temporary work experience, you are more likely to get hired full time. If you can get a temporary appointment, it is vital that you show up for work on time every day, that your attitude is superior, your personal hygeine is good (people oftentime don't bathe regularly, brush their teeth, and/or look like a bum) and that your work ethics are second-to-none. The temporary job information (how well you performed) will always be available for future offices to review.
HQRetiree Posted - 21 January 2007 17:10  Show Profile
Sorry, I forgot this...</P><P>The test probably will be paper and pencil where they have you fill out a grid.</P><P>Watch out for stray pencil marks, be sure to erase completely, fill in the bubble completely--you know the routine.
ziggyboo84 Posted - 21 January 2007 19:4  Show Profile
How long would you suggest studying for the test before going out and taking it the first time?
HQRetiree Posted - 22 January 2007 14:33  Show Profile
If you have an opportunity to take a postal exam (even before doing any or substantive study or even with no study), do so. You'll learn much from taking the test. Specifically, you'll know which sections you need to study. You'll find out your strengths and your weaknesses.</P><P>Ideally, your study should be systematic over a long period of time. That is, you must study daily even if it is only for 1/2 hour. If you study longer than that, be sure to take 10 minute breaks for during each hour studied.</P><P>The longer in time that you systematically study (3-4 PLUS months) before taking the test, the better prepared you will be. You'll be rewarded with an extremely high grade. This is why that schools traditionally define semesters as units of training. </P><P>Quickie prep courses that are a couple of hours long or perhaps a day or two long are only good for extremely short periods of time. Ideally, if you do take a quickie prep course, it should be followed up by immediate testing right after the course. Even a day or two between the end of a quick test prep course and the examination results in drastic fall off of retained information. By the third day, it's as if you never studied.</P><P>If the test is next week or in 2 weeks, then hit the study book every night without fail. With such little time to prepare, the area to concentrate on would be the memory section first, and the address checking (proofreading) section next. Each area is scored differently with the memory section bringing in the most points, the address checking the next highest points, etc. Just because there may be 100 questions to each section (there may be more or less), doesn't mean that the sections are equally rated per question.</P><P>If you find that you've gone through your study prep book and have run out of study material, buy a different one and continue studying. I recommend that you make copies of the answer grids (rather than writing in the book) and use those copies to record your answers. When you have 2-3 different books, you can rotate through these books. If you don't write in them, then your rotation of tests are valid as you won't see the answer outright. Also, if you don't write in them, you can resell them either locally or on Ebay.</P><P>The longer you study systematically before the postal test, the HIGHER your score will be. </P><P>Is this a drag? Yes, it most certainly can be especially when you have to give up some extracurricular activities to have time to accomplish your studies (e.g., watching TV, going out to movies, rollerskating, bowling, night clubbing, etc.).</P><P>Think of it in terms of this: you are investing in yourself when you study (no matter what you are studying). You are definitely worth the investment.</P><P>If you take the few hours needed to go to the movie theater and use that for study instead, those 3 hours or so just might get you a valuable, high-paying job or a new career path.</P><P>It's all a matter of choices. I have to make them too and it can be troublesome. </P><P>I am now in school again and studying for my second career which will be in medicine. I'd much prefer to go out and bowl, or rollerskate, or rent an airplane and go flying around the countryside, or lounge around watching TV when my favorite programs are on. I love to go out to eat on Saturday afternoons with my friends and sometimes to the upscale bars with them. But I elect to study for my new career instead. Those hours add up and I know that systematic studying is the only way to go. So far, I am being rewarded by getting all A+'s in my courses and I have decreased the time it will take to get my degree by at least 1 year. By the time I am finished, I will be at least 3 years ahead.</P><P>I do take time off from studying (at least 1 day per week) as it can get to be a bit overtaxing. You, too, should reward yourself in this manner.</P><P>You can do it! You can earn an extremely high score! You CAN get a career with the postal service! Just make your choices reflect what you want in life.</P><P></P><P>
ziggyboo84 Posted - 22 January 2007 21:6  Show Profile
thanks again for all the info i am currently in school as well studying for management and marketing but i have ordered a study booklet for the postal exam and i will study it untill the jun or july and then try the test during that time good luck with your new career path and thanks again for all the info this helped a lot
HQRetiree Posted - 26 January 2007 21:1  Show Profile
Here's another thought for you to consider.</P><P>Since you are studying management and are in college, you may be interested in the management intern program the postal service has.</P><P>The postal service has an intensive training program where they train people specifically for management. Mostly, they recruit people from outside the postal system, but they do recruit from within the service as well. You will need at least a bachelor's degree to enroll.</P><P>I wish you good luck with your studies. When you do get your job with the Postal Service, keep an eye out for internal openings for manangement interns. There aren't any restrictions on how long you have worked for the postal service for the internships. Almost all of the upward mobility jobs require a minimum of 1 year with the service. Management intern does not. Nationwide and local area vacancy announcments are published twice a month.</P><P>Pay for managers is MUCH greater than for entry-level clerks and carriers. I started as a distribution clerk and retired from a Headquarter's management position. </P><P>As a clerk, you're maybe looking at $30-35K at the most. As a manager, it can go up to several hundred thousand dollars depending upon your skills and if you're willing to relocate across the country several times during your career.</P><P>When I finally retired at age 49 with 30 years of service (medical, or I'd still be there), I was in the low $90s per annum.</P><P>Go for it! The postal service needs competent and compassionate managers. BOY do they need good managers!</P><P>Best of luck to you!
Mkvtte92 Posted - 27 April 2007 10:42  Show Profile
Wow!!!!! Your info and advice is priceless. Thanks for your time effort to help us....
kingram Posted - 21 October 2007 22:28  Show Profile
Hi,</P><P>I am waiting for my practice handbook to take the test. I am very scared and the fact that there will many other people competing is also scary. I hate failing at anything. I need this job... I am loosing everything my house, car and everything I worked for due to the market. I am in an emergency situation and this would give me a new slate... I pray I pass.... And good luck to all of those testing as well.</P><P>Thanks for the tips.<BR>I will study until I can't anymore.</P><P>K
dmwelch Posted - 7 October 2008 23:37  Show Profile
HQRetiree,</P><P>I just joined this website and I was talking with my wife about post office employment. Me and her are going to take the test. I was reading about the intern programs that the Postal Service has. I am in the military now and making plans for retirement. Right now, I am at 18 1/2 years. I want to give much more than 20 years because the military is paying for my school. If not, the post office will be my next alternative. I am currently enrolling getting ready to working on my Master's Degree in Human Resource Management. I already have 2 Bachelor's Degrees, one in Accounting and one in Management. I have 3 Associates in Accounting, Business Administration, and Marketing. I am looking forward to getting back to the North Carolina area once I am done with the military. Is there any specific preparation book that you may recommend? I am definitely going to give some study time before taking the test.
sailani Posted - 31 October 2008 18:47  Show Profile
Hi HQRetiree<BR>Can you give me some info on exam 933.Hardly find much on internet.Will appreciate it.

Show All Forums | Post Reply